Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Spiral

This week saw the first art lesson of the year. We began in pencil. I have small groups at The Studio - no more than 8 and the children rage in age from 6 -12. This year I have a budding 5 year old in the group.
 We talked about spiral shapes in nature and then played a bit with the different hardness of pencil. Then off we went.....

 learning to really observe is a huge part of the way I encourage children to 'do' art. Switching the eyes back on to draw what we really see and not what they think they know, is a very real part to these lessons.

 This child was fed up with his spiral although it was turning out really beautifully, and so he switched to an insect drawing.aaah. much better!!


 Another insect emerging from its lava. The different use of pencil here is great.

 This little girl is 6 and she really began to grasp the idea of shading and creating a shape within a shape. Beautiful!!






 The process of creating a work of art is the beautiful, learning part of the art lesson. The parents get to see the end product which are in themselves really lovely, but the process that the child took to get there, is the exciting bit for me as the teacher. The planning and starting process is often the most difficult and a child might take forever to settle on the right spiral to use as information for their work.


 Then the boldness and bravery it takes to begin to put the pencil marks onto the paper often take real courage.
 There is the temptation to begin to 'stop looking carefully' that might defeat a few and so I really need to help these children press on and so really perseverance is developed.
 Confidence is the friend we hope to grow in each child as they have fun and enjoy trying new things.
 One child asked me ,' did I do good, Caren?' and this is the real question that most children ask of the adults around them. 'Did I do good?' . I love that these art classes are really a way for children to experience doing good and feeling good about themselves.


 Enjoy these works of art just as I have.




1 comment:

  1. Stunning work Caren!!!! it looks really beautiful. I love pencil drawings :-)

    ReplyDelete