Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Geli printing with children


Geli prining is a wonderful way to relax and enjoy colour , pattern , shape and surprise. One can buy a Geli pad from any art outlet in South Africa , although they are very expensive. I decided to make my own pad which works perfectly but does not last longer than 3 weeks. 
I use the large box of gelatine that I buy at any food shop. I mix the gelatine with about 500ml of boiling water. I blend it until smooth with a hand held blender. I use a flat, smooth bottomed dish and pour the mixture into this dish. Leave it to set. 

When the gel pad is hardened, use a sharp knife to loosen the edges and it will pop out. I place my pad on a board of sorts. One can keep it in the fridge when it is not in use, however I cover it with plastic and use it a lot. 

To spread paint onto the geli , we use a brayer or art printing roller. The idea is to spread a - not to thick and not to thin layer of paint onto the gel. 

There are a mirriad of things we can do to create interesting prints. When I work with children , we work slowly and step by step in creating prints. 
This was a beautiful workshop and highly successful in every way. 


These home made woodblocks can be used to create pattern onto the geli pad and then pull a print off onto the paper. Any paper can be used to pull a print including fabric. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment